Wednesday, July 25, 2012

It is ok to ask for help in times of need

I have always had an independent streak. I learned early on in life to get where I needed to be, I should rely upon myself. I have tried from the very beginning, to foster your individuality and to teach you to trust in yourself, to take ownership of your life, and to be strong independent people.

That being said, My lesson of the day is: It is OK to ask for help.

Have you ever heard the expression: "no man is an island". Or, the philosophy that "it takes a village". Or read the modern "parable" :

Footprints in the Sand...

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints.
Other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life
When I was suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord, "You promised me, Lord,
That if I followed you, you would walk with me always.
But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
There have only been one set of prints in the sand.
Why, When I have needed you most, you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints
Is when I carried you."

All these ideas - suggest that there are times in life... When we need help - be it spiritual, physical, or emotional. 

I have raised you to be self reliant... but there will be times in life... When to move forward, move on, thrive, or survive -- you will need help.

In times of spiritual need: I have found praying or meditating in nature has helped: at the beach, in the woods, at sunset, or on a quiet path along the levee. Seek out a place that you can go in times of need.... to reflect and pray. A safe house for you soul.

In times of physical or emotional need, you may need help. Maybe you are in physical pain and need to go to the doctor or the dentist. Maybe you are depressed and or angry and need to see a psychologist.Maybe you can't pay your bills and need to see a credit counselor. Maybe you are out of work and need unemployment benefits. Maybe you are hungry and need to get assistance through a food bank, wic, food stamps. Maybe you are in danger and need a safe house. At those times, you will need to be humble and strong. Humble enough to ask for help and strong enough to take the necessary steps. Love yourself enough to get the help you need and deserve.

Don't be afraid to ask. Don't feel as if you have failed. Don't let pride get in your way. Remember: Everyone, at some point in their lives, has had to ask for help. EVERYONE. Yes, your mom and dad. Yes, your grandparents. Yes, your friends, EVERYONE.

This post is simply a short reminder from your mom to YOU that you are merely human and that it is OK to seek out help.

I love you for being you.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment